CALL TO ACTION
MHCW OPPOSES HB 1514 and Companion Bill SB5520:
3 Year Notice of Community Closure or Conversion
This morning in the House Judiciary Committee, MHCW opposed HB 1514, which requires a minimum of three years notice on closures or conversions of Mobile Home Parks and manufactured housing communities. We opposed this measure because:
- This bill is unconstitutional
- Tenants will not benefit in a partially closed community because a group of tenants wait until the very end and some don’t even move out causing abandoned homes, nuisance, attracting squatters, and looting of property because of abandoned communities. This creates an unsafe condition and environment.
- This legislation singles out manufactured mobile home owners in that the legislation does not apply to other groups, such as Non-profits, local governments, housing authority and other real-estate groups.
- A three-year closure notice may cause the landlord to miss the opportunity to sell because within a three-year notice market changes could develop unfavorable to the landlord.
- A two or three-year notice does not solve tenants finding housing – the solution is to create more housing stock by building new manufactured housing communities in Washington state.
CONTACT your lawmakers (call and follow-up with an email) in the House of Representatives, if you are not sure who your lawmaker is you can find them on the following link: http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/
Please call all lawmakers, where you live and the location of your park. You can find contact information at the following: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rosters/Members
TARGET NUMBER 1:
CONTACT by calling and emailing members of the House Judiciary Committee – names and contact information are attached.
Please TELL them Vote NO on HB 1514 and SB 5520
If you have any questions, please call any of us directly.
MHCW Executive Director
(360) 753 8730
Government Affairs Director